FAQs

General   |   Registration   |   Online Registration

GENERAL

What are the official dates of the 2014 ASTC Annual Conference?

The official conference dates are Saturday, October 18, 2014 through Tuesday, October 21, 2014. The first official event is the Saturday Keynote and Leading Edge Awards Presentation, which begins at 7:30 a.m. with a complimentary breakfast.

Some events, including preconference sessions and tours, the Conference Navigation and Networking session, and the Raleigh Welcomes You Receptions, will be held on Friday, before the official start of the conference. Please check the schedule online at conference.astc.org for up-to-date information.

Where is the 2014 ASTC Annual Conference located?

The main conference venue is the Raleigh Convention Center, located at 500 South Salisbury Street in Raleigh, North Carolina. Some events will also be held at the Raleigh Marriott City Center Hotel (the headquarters hotel), located at 500 Fayetteville Street, just across the street from the Convention Center.

When does registration open?

Onsite registration opens Friday, October 17 at 7:00 a.m., in the Registration Lobby (Mezzanine Level, outside Exhibit Hall B) of the Raleigh Convention Center. Registration is open Friday-Monday.

When does the meeting end?

The conference officially concludes with Museum Open House Day on Tuesday, October 21, although some post-conference tours are scheduled for Wednesday, October 22.

When will the preliminary program be mailed out?

The conference preliminary program will be mailed out in late May, although it will be online earlier. Information about sessions and events will be available online at conference.astc.org.

How do I become a volunteer?

Volunteers are supplied using the existing volunteer base from the local host museum. At this time, the host museum is not taking additional volunteers.

What is the dress code?

Attire is business casual. Feel free to be comfortable in slacks, polo shirts, sweaters, blazers, blouses, and, most importantly, comfortable shoes. We do recommend you dress in layers as temperatures in meeting rooms can vary.

Can I use my mobile phone during the conference?

As a courtesy to presenters and other attendees, we ask that you kindly turn off your mobile phones or set them to vibrate during sessions and keynote presentations. Please quietly exit the room to attend to important phone calls.

What should I do if the session I would like to attend is full?

ASTC suggests that you arrive at the assigned meeting room at least 15 minutes prior to the start of the session to obtain a seat. Be sure to note alternate sessions you would like to attend during a particular time slot in the event your first choice is full. All session rooms are intended to help foster a creative learning environment and are set to the maximum number of seats allowed per the fire marshal.

How can I obtain a copy of a presenter’s presentation?

Presentations will be made available online after the conference.

Will I be able to obtain Continuing Education Credit?

Full participation in the 2014 ASTC Annual Conference is applicable for points in Category 1.B-Education of the CFRE International application for initial certification and/or re-certification. Only selected sessions, where indicated, will be approved for credit.

Will my photo be taken during the conference?

ASTC takes photographs during its meetings and events for use in Association advertising, newsletters, and other promotional materials, whether in print, electronic, or other media, including the ASTC and conference websites. By participating in this conference you grant ASTC the right to use your name and photograph for such purposes.

Are there accommodations for people with disabilities and those requiring special assistance?

If you require special assistance, auxiliary aids, or other reasonable accommodations to fully participate in this event, please email conference@astc.org. Information regarding disabilities and special assistance will remain confidential.

Will child care be provided during the conference?

ASTC does not provide child care services during the conference. Attendees requiring assistance with child care should contact their hotel concierge.

I am bringing my family with me to Raleigh. Will there be activities for them to enjoy during the conference?

ASTC does not have specific activities designed for guests or family members, but we do offer guest tickets (which can be purchased during online registration) for the Saturday Evening Event on October 18. The event is open to guests over the age of 21. If you would like to purchase a guest ticket for a tour, please contact the ASTC Conference Team by phone at (202) 783-7200 or email at conference@astc.org. There is plenty to see and do in Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill. Contact your hotel concierge to help you plan activities and day trips during your stay, or visit www.visitraleigh.com for more information.

Can my group host a meeting at the annual conference?

Certain groups are permitted to host a meeting at one of the conference facilities during the annual conference. For meeting room request policies and form, please visit conference.astc.org/conferenceprogram/hosting-an-event.

I have a product, service, or program that I would like to demonstrate. Should I submit an event form for satellite events?

Demonstrations of this type occur during scheduled Product Demonstration Sessions. Please contact Larry Hoffer at (202) 783-7200 x114 or lhoffer@astc.org for pricing and scheduling information. Product Demonstration Sessions will be held Saturday, October 18 and Sunday, October 19, at the same time as other concurrent educational sessions.

I am interested in sponsorship opportunities. Whom should I contact?

Please contact Larry Hoffer at (202) 783-7200 x114 or lhoffer@astc.org.

I am interested in exhibiting at the conference. Whom should I contact?

Please contact Korie Twiggs at (202) 783-7200 x146 or ktwiggs@astc.org.

I am interested in advertising opportunities. Whom should I contact?

Please contact Larry Hoffer at (202) 783-7200 x114 or lhoffer@astc.org.

REGISTRATION

When is registration open?

Registration opens Friday, October 17 at 7:00 a.m., in the Registration Lobby (Mezzanine Level, outside Exhibit Hall B) of the Raleigh Convention Center. Registration is open from 7:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m., Friday-Monday.

What are the registration fees?

Registration fees can be found online at conference.astc.org/registration/registrationrates.

What is included in my registration fee?

Full conference registration for ASTC 2014 includes:
  • All sessions, workshops, and events without a separate fee
  • Breakfast at Saturday’s opening keynote session
  • Two-day (Saturday and Sunday) access to the Exhibit Hall, which includes:
  • Complimentary lunch on Saturday and Sunday
  • Saturday morning coffee break
  • Saturday afternoon ice cream social
  • Sunday evening networking receptions
  • Museum Open House Day on Tuesday (includes access to Big Screen Day at Marbles Kids Museum)

Why is there a fee for the Saturday Evening Event?

To date, the ASTC Diversity and Leadership Development Awards & Fellowship has made it possible for 120 science center professionals from 70 science centers and museums in the United States and Canada to participate in the Annual Conference. In 2013 ASTC implemented this small contribution as part of the Saturday Evening Event in an effort to fulfill the needs of this growing program. Thank you for your support!

Does ASTC offer any scholarships/assistance for conference?

Currently, ASTC offers two programs for conference related assistance:

The ASTC Diversity and Leadership Development Fellow Program
Eligibility: Individuals who meet the following criteria:
  • Identifies with one or more of the following underrepresented groups: racial/ethnic minority, LGBT, or person with a disability;
  • Has been employed at present institution full-time for at least one year;
  • Holds a mid-level management position (i.e., non-entry level);
  • Demonstrates a desire to advance her/his career in the science center/museum field;
  • Expresses an interest in supporting equity and diversity in the science center/museum field; and
  • Has not attended an ASTC Annual Conference in the past three years
Application Deadline: May 19, 2014
For more information, visit www.astc.org/about/awards/conference_fellow.htm.

The ASTC Lee Kimche McGrath Worldwide Fellowship
Eligibility: The award is intended to support professionals who have genuine need for financial assistance in order to attend conference. An individual from a science center or museum (open or in development) outside the United States may submit an application. Preference will be given to applicants:
  • Whose institution is not normally in a position to afford to send a representative to an ASTC conference
  • Whose participation will benefit other science centers in addition to their own
  • Who have limited opportunities to meet professionally with science center colleagues
  • Who are willing to participate in a conference session or write about their experience or institution for an ASTC publication
  • Who are from ASTC-member institutions (not required)
Application Deadline: June 30, 2014
For more information, visit www.astc.org/about/awards/mcgrath.htm.

I am a member of the press. Do you offer a special press registration rate?

ASTC welcomes the professional editorial staff of print, online, and broadcast media. Complimentary registrations are extended to the "working media" with the same benefits as other full conference registrations. Other publication staff (non-editorial positions, such as advertising directors and advertising representatives) may attend by registering at the full conference rate. For more information, please contact conference@astc.org.

Will I receive my registration materials in the mail?

Registration materials are not mailed prior to the conference; they will be available for pick-up beginning 7:00 a.m. on Friday, October 17, in the Registration Lobby (Mezzanine Level, outside Exhibit Hall B) of the Raleigh Convention Center.

If I am unable to attend the conference, how do I cancel my registration?

All cancellations must be made in writing to conference@astc.org. Cancellations received by ASTC on or before August 29 are entitled to a full refund of registration and event fees. Cancellations received August 30–September 19 will be subject to a $200 cancellation processing fee. No refunds will be granted for cancellations after September 19. Cancelled individual registrations within a Group Registration without a substitution will result in forfeiture of the discount and the balance between the Full Conference Registration rate and the Group Discount Rate will be charged when registration materials are picked up.

I cannot attend the conference. Can I send a colleague in my place?

Substitutions are allowed with the written authorization of the registrant who is unable to attend. Send an email to conference@astc.org by Friday, September 19 or bring a signed letter to the onsite registration counter, along with a new completed registration form.

I am an international attendee. How do I obtain a formal invitation letter to submit with my visa application?

Please complete the online registration first. When you have received your confirmation email, send an email to the ASTC Conference Team at conference@astc.org with the following information:
   Prefix
   First Name
   Last Name
   Job Title
   Institution Name
   Institution Address
   City
   State/Province
   Postal Code
   Country
   Contact Phone Number
   Contact Email Address

My visa application was denied. What should I do?

Please contact the ASTC Conference Team by email at conference@astc.org.

My company/institution is not an ASTC member. How do I learn more about joining ASTC, including the benefits of membership?

Please contact the ASTC Membership Department by phone at (202) 783-7200 or email at info@astc.org.

ONLINE REGISTRATION

I am completing the online registration for a colleague. Can I enter my email address in the “Attendee Email Address” and “Verify Email Address” fields?

All attendees must have a unique email address. Please enter the email address of the person you are registering. You may enter your email address in the “CC Email Address” field on the Attendee Information page.

I received the following error: “Your email address cannot be found in our database as entered. Please create an account or update your email address at members.astc.org.” What should I do?

Each attendee must have a myASTC account with a unique email address. If you do not have an account, please create an account at members.astc.org. If you suspect that you do have an account, but do not remember your username and password, please contact the ASTC Membership Department by phone at (202) 783-7200 or email at info@astc.org.

I am an Exhibitor/Sponsor. How do I redeem my contracted complimentary registration(s)?

After your booth/sponsorship has been processed, you will receive an email with a unique discount code and instructions to register online. If you have not yet received this email, please contact the ASTC Conference Team by phone at (202) 783-7200 or email at conference@astc.org for assistance.

My institution/company is an ASTC member, but only nonmember registration categories are listed. How do I register as a member?

Please contact the ASTC Membership Department to update your membership status by phone at (202) 783-7200 or email at info@astc.org.

My co-workers and I would like to register for a Group Discount registration. Can I register myself now and register them later?

All five attendees for a Group Discount registration must be registered at the same time (e.g., within the same online registration session). For your convenience, use the Online Registration Checklist to collect their information and expedite the registration process.

My co-workers and I would like to register for a Group Discount registration. Can we pay for our registrations separately?

After the information for all five attendees has been entered, the system will ask if you would like to pay for the group separately or all together.

I am a presenter, but I do not know my session code. Whom should I contact?

Session leaders can provide their presenters with the session code. Alternatively, contact ASTC Conference Team by phone at (202) 783-7200 or email at conference@astc.org.

I selected a session/event accidentally. How do I remove it?

Click the “Clear Selection” link to the right of the session/event name.

I have an allergy or specific dietary restriction. Whom should I contact?

We will do our best to accommodate your dietary needs. Please contact the ASTC Conference Team by phone at (202) 783-7200 or email at conference@astc.org by September 19, 2014.

I registered online, but I did not receive an email confirmation. How can I get a copy of my registration confirmation?

Please contact the ASTC Conference Team by phone at (202) 783-7200 or email at conference@astc.org.

How do I modify my registration (e.g., edit my name, add a tour, RSVP to the Saturday Evening Event)?

Please click the “Modify Registration” button at conference.astc.org/registration. You will be asked to enter your email address and reference number provided in your online registration confirmation email.

I made a modification to my registration, but my receipt does not show itemized payment information. Can I get an itemized receipt to submit to my accounting department?

Please contact the ASTC Conference Team by phone at (202) 783-7200 or email at conference@astc.org for an itemized receipt.